Is there anything cuter than homemade knitted things for children? Newborn swaddle blankets are perfect for peaceful sleep and are a sweet gift idea for new babies. Give the gift of warmth and security - plus it looks so cute! There are many beautiful knitting patterns out there. We have chosen a simple but unique style. Today we’ll show you how to knit a knitted sleep sack, sometimes referred to as a knitted swaddle. With our free tutorial you can easily knit a swaddle wrap for newborn. Before we start please note the two points below.
What should you consider when making newborn swaddle blankets?
First and foremost, you should pay attention to the type of yarn you will use to knit a swaddle wrap. Will the knitted sleep sack be used in the warmer months or during the cold season? While 100% wool or polyester are suitable for the cold season, cotton is the best option for blankets to be used in during the warmer months.
Keep in mind that patterns with thick textures such as knots or braids can be rough against a baby’s skin. It’s best to choose a pattern which doesn’t contain these decorative textures.
What is the best yarn to knit a baby swaddle blanket?
If you want to knit a swaddle blanket then you should also pay close attention to the quality and type of yarn being used for the project. Since babies and toddlers have sensitive skin, it’s important to use yarn which will not irritate their soft skin. The yarn should be made with material which is not scratchy and will not create a lot of lint or pill. The best yarn to consider is high-quality cotton and merino wool. Acrylic yarn is also a good option for children's clothing as it’s soft, gentle on the skin and easy to clean. In addition, synthetic fibers are low allergen, because they do not contain animal substances.
You will need the following to knit a swaddle wrap for newborn:
- 200 g yarn (50 g = 120 m), 50% Merino Wool, 50% Polyamide
- Knitting needles 3,5 – 4 mm (US sizes 4 - 6)
- 12 buttons
Free Knitting Tutorial
The design of this knitted sleeping bag for newborns is surprisingly simple and you’ll be happy with the finished product. It is simply a knitted rectangle which is 100 cm long and 35 cm wide with holes for buttons on both sides. Buttons are sewn on and the upper part is sewn into a hood.
1. Cast on 72 stitches and knit 2-3 cm in a rice grain pattern: alternating knit & purl, one row knit and purl, and then alternate for every row purl and knit, and then the next row knit and purl and so on.
2. In the seventh row, create the button holes on both sides. To do this, knit the 3rd and 4th stitches together, and then knit a buttonhole stitch (yarn over), at the end of the row after stitch 68, knit a buttonhole stitch (yarn over), and stitch 69 and 70 together.
3. Use the following pattern to stitch to the end:
Knitting Pattern Legend:
| - Knit
/ - Knit stitches together
□ - Purl
4. The first 6 stitches are knit in a rice grain pattern, followed by 2 purl stitches, then 6 knit stitches (knotted in every 7th row), 2 purl stitches, 40 stitches in the check pattern, 2 purl stitches, 6 knit stitches (knotted in every 7th row), 2 purl stitches, and 6 stitches in a rice grain pattern.
5. Buttonholes are repeated every 8-9 cm until the length reaches about 40 cm (6 buttons on each side). The remaining 60 cm is knitted without buttonholes.
6. Cast off your stitches and then fold the knitted strip in half lengthwise. Stitch the 2 sides together to form a hood.
Adding a hood to a baby sleep sack is really practical. Covering the baby’s head really keeps them warm and cozy on a cold day.
You can attach both sides to create a hood by distributing the stitches onto two knitting needles and then casting off two stitches at a time.
7. To finish up, sew on the button and attach a label to your newborn swaddle blanket.
Do You want to save this idea for later?
Simply bookmark the link to this blog post or add it to your "Favourites" so that you can quickly find it in your browser later.
Here is how to save the tutorial:
- On your computer: Click on the asterisk or the three dots in the top right hand corner or on the book icon in the top left hand corner (depending on the browser you use).
- On your Android smartphone: Click on the three dots in the top right hand corner and then on the asterisk.
- On your iPhone: Click the book icon at the bottom and add the link to your bookmarks or book list.