The last steps to sew the pillow together.
In the last tutorial of our series "How to make a quilted throw pillow", we have to sew the pillow together.
You will need:
- Your quilted pillow
- The back pieces for your pillow
- An iron
- A pillow pad
- Woven label
Other posts you´ll need:
- How to Make a Quilted Throw Pillow: A 5 Post Series
- How to Make a Quilted Throw Pillow: Post 1: Fabric
- How to Make a Quilted Throw Pillow: Post 2: Design & Cut
- How to Make a Quilted Throw Pillow: Post 3: Sewing the Front
- How to Make a Quilted Throw Pillow: Post 4: Quilting
Fold one of the long edges of the back pieces to the wrong side by 1cm (3/8in) and press. Fold again to hide the raw edge, pressing once more. Sew close to the innermost folded edge to create a hem. Repeat for the second back piece.
Place the back pieces on top of the front piece, right sides together and with the raw edges aligned and the hems in the middle. One back piece should be lined up with the top of the front and one should be lined up with the bottom of the front. They will overlap in the centre. Pin or clip together all round the edge.
Sew all the way around the outside, using a 1cm (3/8in) seam allowance and pivoting at the corners with the needle in the fabric.
Trim the corners of your pillow cover close to the seam line and then turn the pillow cover the right way out. Add a pillow and then you’re all done!
Attach your label
Now it’s time to attach your label. We’re using a leather label with holes all four corners for this Project. It’s quick and easy - here are the steps.
Select the are where you’d like to attach the leather label.
One one side of the label, using the punched holes, pin the label into place.
With a needle and thread, start the stitch from the inside of the pillow. Sew up from through one of the holes and then down through the hole next to it (like sewing on a button). Pass through 4 or 5 times for a secure hold.
Tie off the thread on the inside of the pillow and cut off any extra thread. Repeat these steps on the other side of the label.
Do You want to save this idea for later?
Simply bookmark the link to this blog post or add it to your "Favourites" so that you can quickly find it in your browser later.
Here is how to save the tutorial:
- On your computer: Click on the asterisk or the three dots in the top right hand corner or on the book icon in the top left hand corner (depending on the browser you use).
- On your Android smartphone: Click on the three dots in the top right hand corner and then on the asterisk.
- On your iPhone: Click the book icon at the bottom and add the link to your bookmarks or book list.