These sweet little bookmarks are quick and easy to make and are the perfect little gifts for someone special. You don’t have to stick with the heart shape either, the world is your oyster when it comes to designing these bookmarks. Simple little animals, different shapes, or even an ice cream cone comes to mind. We used a thicker felt to make these bookmarks but the thinner craft felt would also work like a charm.
You will need for "Felt Heart Bookmark"
- Felt: color of your choice
- Sharp scissors
- Pencil or pen for tracing
- Sturdy paper
- Embroidery floss: color of your choice
- Embroidery needle
- Straight pins
- Iron on label
Make the Pattern
The important part of this step is to make sure the bottom of the heart is 90° so that it can easily slip over the corner of the book pages. Tip: use the corner of the paper to avoid making the 90° measurement.
Decide how big you want the heart to be - ours measures 10 cm wide at the widest point and about 9 cm tall. Draw your design onto the paper and carefully cut it out.
Make the Bookmark
Trace your heart shape onto the felt using your paper pattern.
Carefully cut out your felt shapes.
Line up the 2 felt hearts and pin into place. Stitch around the straight sides of the heart. You can use a straight stitch, whip stitch or blanket stitch.
You can, of course, embellish the bookmarks however you choose.
Do You want to save this idea for later?
Simply bookmark the link to this blog post or add it to your "Favourites" so that you can quickly find it in your browser later.
Here is how to save the tutorial:
- On your computer: Click on the asterisk or the three dots in the top right hand corner or on the book icon in the top left hand corner (depending on the browser you use).
- On your Android smartphone: Click on the three dots in the top right hand corner and then on the asterisk.
- On your iPhone: Click the book icon at the bottom and add the link to your bookmarks or book list.